National Reports on River and Direct Inputs
of Contaminants into the Marine and Coastal Environment in NOWPAP Region
1. The Action Plan for the Protection, Management and Development of the Marine and Coastal Environment of the Northwest Pacific Region (NOWPAP) and three Resolutions were adopted at the First Intergovernmental Meeting (Seoul, Republic of Korea, 14 September 1994: UNEP(OCA)/NOWPAP/IG.1/5). Resolution 1 identified five areas of priority for implementation of the Action Plan, one of which was NOWPAP/3: Establishment of a collaborative, regional monitoring programme.
2. Following the decision of the 3rd NOWPAP Intergovernmental Meeting, the responsibility for NOWPAP/3 (Regional Monitoring Programme) was jointly shared by the Special Monitoring and Coastal Environmental Assessment Regional Activity Center (CEARAC) and the Pollution Monitoring Regional Activity Center (POMRAC) to carry out regional activities.
3. Pollution Monitoring Regional Activity Center (POMRAC) of UNEP Action Plan for the Protection, Management and Development of the Marine and Coastal Environment of the Northwest Pacific Region was established by Ministry of Natural Resources and Russian Academy of Sciences in compliance with decision of the 4th Intergovernmental Meeting of NOWPAP Countries (Beijing, People’s Republic of China, 6-7 April 1999).
4. The functions of the Pollution Monitoring Regional Activity Center (POMRAC), as set forth by the decision of the 4th Intergovernmental Meeting of NOWPAP Countries, are performed by Pacific Geographical Institute of Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, directed by Center for International Projects of Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia.
5. Following the results of discussions at the First NOWPAP/3 Meeting (Beijing, China, 21-22 May 2001), the 7th NOWPAP Intergovernmental Meeting (Vladivostok, Russia, 20-22 March 2002) approved the resolution 3.6, “the demarcation of the responsibilities and activities between CEARAC and POMRAC as presented by the secretariat in document UNEP/NOWPAP IG.7/8”. Subsequently POMRAC was allocated with the responsibility to implement activities related to Working Group (WG) 1 “Atmospheric Deposition of Contaminants” and WG 2 – “River and Direct Inputs of Contaminants”.
6. The 1st Focal Points Meeting of POMRAC (Vladivostok, Russia, 9-11 April 2003) decided that the main task of WG 2 should be to establish regional assessment programs to evaluate river and direct inputs of contaminants into the marine and coastal environment in NOWPAP Region.
7. The First Meeting of NOWPAP Working Groups WG 1 and WG 2 agreed on the structure and content of the National Reports (UNEP/NOWPAP/POMRAC/WG 1 WG2 1/6).
8. The 2nd Focal Points Meeting of POMRAC (Vladivostok, Russia, 26-27 May 2004) adopted the structure and content of the National Reports (see below) and the procedure for the compilation and preparation of National Reports for WG 2.
9. The 2nd ‘back-to-back’ Meetings of NOWPAP Working Group 1 and Working Group 2 (Vladivostok, Russia, 10-11 October, 2005) have reviewed the National Reports, prepared by NOWPAP Members, provided recommendations on their harmonization and publishing.